SSSS.DYNAZENON (ダイナゼノン, Dainazenon) is a 2021 animated series that is the second installment is the "GRIDMAN UNIVERSE" project produced by Tsuburaya Productions in collaboration with Studio Trigger. The series aired from April 2 to June 18, 2021.
One day on his way home, a first-year student of Fujiyokidai High School named Yomogi Asanaka meets a mysterious man named Gauma who claims to be a "Kaiju User". Suddenly, a Kaiju and a giant robot, Dynazenon, appear! Yume Minami, Koyomi Yamanaka, and Chise Asukagawa also happen to be passing by, and together with Yomogi they are caught up in a battle with the Kaiju.
Cast & Characters
- Daiki Hamano as Gauma
- Junya Enoki as Yomogi Asanaka
- Shion Wakayama as Yume Minami
- Yuichiro Umehara as Koyomi Yamanaka
- Chika Anzai as Chise Asukagawa
- Hiroshi Kamiya as Juuga
- Yūma Uchida as Onija
- Ayaka Suwa as Mujina
- Kouki Uchiyama Sizumu
- Mariya Ise as Inamoto
- Azusa Tadokoro as Mei
- Jin Ogasawara as Awaki
- Gakuto Kajiwara as Nazumi
- Rio Tsuchiya as Ranka
- Hikaru Tohno as Kaneishi
- Kenichi Suzumura as Knight
- Karin Takahashi as Anosillus the 2nd
- What is a Kaiju User?
- What's Your Reason for Fighting?
- What is a Traitor?
- What Is This Thumping Heart?
- What's Lover-Like Mean?
- What Is This Pain?
- What's Our Reason for Coming Together?
- What Is This Wavering Emotion?
- What Are These Overlapping Emotions?
- Which Memories Do You Regret?
- What Wish Can't Come True?
- What Was I Entrusted With?
Each episode is followed up with an original Voice Drama which was uploaded to Pony Canyon's channel.
The musical score was composed by Shiro Sagisu.
- Director: Akira Amemiya
- Screenplay: Keiichi Hasegawa
- Music: Shiro Sagisu
- Character Designer: Masaru Sakamoto
- This is the second animated installment of the "Gridman Universe".
- The title's etymology is in conjunction with the names "Dyna" from Dyna Dragon and "Zenon" from "God Zenon", the two assist mecha from the original Gridman series.
- The series' tagline, "Scarred Souls Shine like Stars", alludes inversion of the portrayal of emotionally troubled teenagers in both Original Series and Gridman Universe that normally assume antagonistic role as the pawn of major threats. Here, they take main protagonist role where they are chosen to combat Kaiju threats where their fight sees them gradually finding closure over their issues just as said fights served as sort of coping mechanism.
- Another plot element from previous installments that similarly inverted being the main antagonist(s)' background and tactic in employing Kaiju attack. Whereas Khan Digifer and Alexis・Kerib have an unwitting pawn designing a Kaiju on their behalf before being sent against the heroes, Kaiju Eugenicists are a band of ancient humans who masterminded Kaiju emergence in a targeted populace by spreading Kaiju seeds which feed on emotions from nearby unsuspecting inhabitants of populace in question and wait for seeds in question to mature and ready to be controlled via. Instance Domination.
- Many places in the city where Yomogi and co. lives, Fujiyokidai, bears some similarities with Tsutsudjidai from the previous series, which no surprise considering some shots in the show being recycled from ones in SSSS.Gridman.